Saturday 24 May 2014

Coconut, Spelt, Blueberry Biscuits

When I grow up I want to be the kind of person who has a biscuit tin


My best friend's weakness is crisps, specifically salt and vinegar crisps. My weakness is biscuits. The buttery goodness just makes me so happy. I can spend quite a long time happily munching my way through a packet of digestives, mixing it up a little so as to keep it interesting. A bit of dunking, a bit of non-dunking, some butter and cheddar on top, a bit of jam, or even cheddar WITH jam!!

Perhaps now is the time to admit that I have a problem with biscuits. Bearing this in mind I am always on the hunt for a 'healthier' alternative. One that satisfies my biscuit craving without the sugar hit that keeps me munching. These little numbers are not only great for me, but I can happily feed them to Lena without worrying she will follow in her mother's footsteps. 



Coconut, Spelt, Blueberry Biscuits

What you need:
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
3 tbsp apple sauce
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 cup wholegrain spelt flour
3/4 cup porridge oats
1 cup dessicated coconut
1/2 cup dried blueberries
A grating of nutmeg
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda mixed with 1/2 an espresso cup of boiling water

What to do:
Preheat the oven to 170C (fan) and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
Melt the coconut oil, apple sauce and maple syrup over a low heat on the hob.
Mix all of the dry ingredients together, including the bicarbonate of soda, and then add half of the wet mixture and combine, then add the remainder.
Roll tablespoon size balls and shape in the palm of your hands before placing on the sheet.
I make about 15 chunky biscuits.
Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown, then cool on a rack where they will harden on the outside.

Lena loved them so much, that she even demanded more before she had finished her mouthful. SUCCESS!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Lovely to hear from you